Last Updated: Saturday, 01 March 2014 08:43
Arley is six miles away from Nuneaton. The village is split into two – Old Arley and New Arley. Arley itself was made up of several small hamlets: Gun Hill, Slowley Hill, Devitt's Green and Ballard's Green.
Churches & Religious Buildings
St Wilfrid C of E at Old Arley
St Michael C of E at New Arley (built 1927)
Arley Methodist Church (built 1920)
The village derives its name from the Saxon earnlege, meaning the clearing where the eagles are found, and was called Witscaga in the Domesday Book of 1086 and the land was owned by the Countess Godiva.
Many of the villagers would have been involved in local industry of burning limestone in kilns to produce lime from agricultural use.
The church is around six hundred years old and stands on high ground. In past years the tower could be seen rising above the surrounding forest and Dugdale called it ‘the Lanthorne of Arden’.
A coal mine shaft was sunk in 1901 and many houses were built for the miners particularly at New Arley and Gun Hill.
Church of England Parish Registers and Bishops' Transcipts
See NNWFHS publication Baptism, Marriage & Burial Records: What is where for the North Warwickshire Church of England Parishes. The pdf version of this booklet is available free online to registered NNWFHS members on the Research Resources - Information page via the Members Pages section (registration required). Otherwise, to purchase, please visit our Bookshop
Non-conformist Registers: No current information
International Genealogical Index
The IGI is online via www.familysearch.org Details of parishes covered by the IGI can be found on Hugh Wallis' Batch Numbers Most libraries have microform copies of the IGI. If you find a relevant item indexed, you are strongly advised to view the original register entry for full or additional details; we have identified many instances of marriages recorded on the IGI which are indeed only publication of Banns, and no marriage did in fact take place.
Arley and Old Arley were in Nuneaton district and sub-district from 1837-1932, Meriden district and sub-district from 1932 to 1974 and North Warwickshire district Atherstone sub-district from 1974. The article Civil Registration for North Warwickshire Explained, with a list of the Civil and Ecclesiastical Parishes in our area 1837-1974, and the Registration Districts in which they lay at varying times, is available free online to registered NNWFHS members via the Research Resources section of the Members Pages. Atherstone registers are now held at Nuneaton Register Office where some of the registers have been indexed and made available to search online in order to facilitate the purchasing of certificates. Some entries from the GRO indexes have also been made available for online search at FreeBMD
There are no known existing household lists prior to 1841. 1841 to 1911 censuses are available online on various subscription or pay-to-view websites. Several census years for Warwickshire, along with other data provided by volunteers, are freely available online at Pickard’s Pink Pages. The 1881 census for whole of British Isles is freely available online via www.familysearch.org. North Warwickshire Libraries have online access to the census records, and some local libraries hold facsimile hard copies for their immediate area.
Those for St Wilfrid C of E at Old Arley and St Michael C of E at New Arley are available on microfiche which can be purchased from BMSGH for £1 or as a PDF for £2.50.
for more pictures of Arley please visit our Photos & Pictures Gallery
Victoria County History from British History Online
Pickard’s Pink Pages.
Hugh Wallis' Batch Numbers
Warwickshire Registration Services
NNWFHS Photos & Pictures Gallery
© Copyright NNWFHS 1998/2009
Return to Towns & Villages Map