Last Updated: Saturday, 01 March 2014 08:37
Ansley is five miles west of Nuneaton. It is often referred to as Ansley Common.
Churches & Religious Buildings
St Laurence (Lawrence) Cof E parish church (website and church history)
Chapel End Meeting and Providence Chapel (Independent)
The village was called Hanslei in the Domesday Book of 1086. The land was owned by the Countess Godiva.
The church of St. Laurence is of Norman origin and is located at Church End some two miles west of the village. Church End was the main hub of the village until recent times. Ansley Hall dates originally from Elizabethan times but was altered in the early eighteenth century. Later it was taken over by the Ansley Hall Coal and Iron Company founded by William Garside Phillips (great grandfather of Captain Mark Phillips, first husband of Princess Anne). It fell into disrepair and was demolished in the 1970s. A coal mine was in operation at Ansley last century and much of the housing is of miner’s cottages.
Church of England Parish Registers and Bishops' Transcipts
See NNWFHS publication Baptism, Marriage & Burial Records: What is where for the North Warwickshire Church of England Parishes The pdf version of this booklet is available free online to registered NNWFHS members on the Research Information page via the Members' Pages section (registration required). Otherwise, to purchase, please visit our Bookshop.
Some christening records 1789-1837 for Chapel End Meeting and Providence Chapel are on the IGI.
International Genealogical Index
The IGI is online at www.familysearch.org Details of parishes covered by the IGI can be found on Hugh Wallis' Batch Numbers Most libraries have microform copies of the IGI. If you find a relevant item indexed, you are strongly advised to view the original register entry for full or additional details; we have identified many instances of marriages recorded on the IGI which are indeed only publication of Banns, and no marriage did in fact take place.
Ansley Village and Ansley Common were in Nuneaton district and sub-district from 1837-1932, Meriden district and sub-district from 1932 to 1974 and North Warwickshire district Atherstone sub-district from 1974.
The article Civil Registration for North Warwickshire Explained, with a list of the Civil and Ecclesiastical Parishes in our area 1837-1974, and the Registration Districts in which they lay at varying times, is available free online to registered NNWFHS members via the Research Resources section of the Members Pages.
Atherstone registers are now held at Nuneaton Register Office where some of the registers have been indexed and made available to search online in order to facilitate the purchasing of certificates. Some entries from the GRO indexes have also been made available for online search at FreeBMD.
There are no known existing household lists prior to 1841. 1841 to 1911 censuses are available online on various subscription or pay-to-view websites. Several census years for Warwickshire, along with other data provided by volunteers, are freely available online at Pickard’s Pink Pages. The 1881 census for whole of British Isles is freely available online at www.familysearch.org. North Warwickshire Libraries have online access to the census records, additionally, some local libraries hold facsimile hard copies for their immediate area.
Those for St Laurence (Lawrence) C of E parish church are available on microfiche which can be purchased from BMSGH.
For more pictures of Ansley please visit our Photos & Pictures Gallery
History St Laurence (Lawrence) parish churchNNWFHS Photos & Pictures Gallery
Warwickshire Communities -Ansley
Victoria County History from British History Online
Pickard’s Pink Pages.
Hugh Wallis' Batch Numbers
Warwickshire Registration Services
© Copyright NNWFHS 1998/2009
Return to Towns Map