The village is three miles north east of Coleshill. Bentley was originally a detached chapelry of Shustoke and then became part of Merevale.
The village was called Scotescote in the Domesday Book of 1086.
Sir William Dugdale, the historian, was born here in 1605 and bought Blyth Hall after he was married.
The church was built in the time of Edward II but it was later destroyed by fire and was rebuilt in 1886 with the original tower and spire incorporated.
The original village was at Church End but moved to the present site after an outbreak of plague in 1650.
Very few old buildings survive, many were demolished to make way for "new housing". William Dugdale, the author of “The Antiquities of Warwickshire”, written 1656, was born at Church End and is buried in the church.
© Copyright NNWFHS 1998/2009