Chilvers Coton derives its name from the Saxon name which means Ceolfrith’s cottage. The village was called Celverdestoche in the Domesday Book of 1086 the land was held by Harold son of Earl Ralph.
Arbury’s name also comes from the Saxon eordbyrig and Griff from gryfja meaning a pit or hole.
The novelist, George Elliot (Mary Ann Evans) was baptised in the church and many of the places in her novels are based on Chilvers Coton, which she calls Shepperton in “Scenes of Clerical Life”. Nearby is Arbury Hall, which, in “Mr.Gilfil's Love Story” is called Cheverel Hall. The hall is the home of the Newdigate family.
The church was destroyed by bombs in May 1941 and later was rebuilt with the help of German prisoners of war.
Caldwell Hall, built in the 18th century was demolished in 1946.
Opposite the Church is the free school. Built about 1800, it is now a heritage centre.
The vast Newdigate archives at Warwick Records Office provide rich material for the family historian.
© Copyright NNWFHS 1998/2009