Bentley is a hamlet about two miles south west of Atherstone.
St John (now closed and demolished although the graveyard still exits).
Bentley derives its name from beonet leah which means the clearing in the bent grass. The village was called Benechelie in the Domesday Book of 1086.
The church was built in 1837 and was demolished in the late 20th century.
Bentley was a chapel of ease within, but detached from, Shustoke parish. It is now linked with the parish of Merevale.
© Copyright NNWFHS 1998/2009