Baddesley Ensor is a former mining village situated about 7 miles from Nuneaton and 2½ miles from Atherstone.
Churches & Religious Buildings
St Nicholas C of E
Methodist Chapel, Keys Hill.
Closed 1996. This was formerly the Quaker's meeting house. By 1837 this movement had declined locally in popularity and the Wesleyans rented the meeting house to use as their chapel and Sunday school. At the turn of the century they, now known as Methodists, purchased the chapel and built a new one, which was connected to the original building by an interconnecting door. During the 19th century and into the 20th the non-conformist chapels thrived. But over the years interest dwindled and in 1996 the two chapels were merged. The Methodist chapel was sold to a private buyer.
Congregationalist Chapel, Keys Hill (now Trinity Church)
This was founded by John Dagley who came from nearby Hartshill. The first meetings were held in a cottage in the village before the present chapel was built in 1847. There was a burial plot at the rear but this became full in the 1920s and from then on burials had to be in the St Nicholas graveyard. It was later known as the United Reform church. In 1996 it merged with the Methodist and is now known as the Trinity Church. In 2000 refurbishment was carried out; a new porch was built with toilets and a kitchen added. The Trinity Church finally closed its doors after the last service on June 7th 2009 due to a decline in membership. It was the end of an era.
Baddesley Ensor derives its name from the Saxon baeddes leah and the addition of Ensor comes from Thomas de Ednesouere in around 1300. The village was called Bedeslei in the Domesday Book of 1086 meaning ‘a priests clearing in the forest’.
There were mining activities in the area for centuries before the two main shafts, which formed Baddesley Colliery, were sunk in 1850. Although called Baddesley Colliery it was actually just over the border in Baxterley. From then until the pit closed in 1989, most Baddesley men worked in some capacity at the mine. The worst disaster at the mine occurred on 2nd May 1882 when a fire was followed by an explosion. Twenty-three men lost their lives in attempting to rescue nine nightshift workers trapped by the fire. A memorial to all the men who worked in the mines, in the form of a pit head winding wheel, was erected on the common at the site of the old Maypole pit, opposite to the Maypole Inn. Since the closure of the mine the village is mainly residential.
Baddesley Ensor is also renowned for its common. St Nicholas Church contains the Latimer Pulpit where the protestant martyr, Bishop Latimer, preached shortly before he was burnt at the stake in 1555.
Diocese historically Lichfield & Coventry diocese.
Church of England Parish Registers and Bishops' Transcipts
See NNWFHS publication Baptism, Marriage & Burial Records: What is where for the North Warwickshire Church of England Parishes The text of this booklet is available free online to registered NNWFHS members via the Members Pages. Otherwise, to purchase, please visit our Bookshop.
Held at Warwick Record office. Some records are on the IGI.
International Genealogical Index
The IGI is online at www.familysearch.org Details of parishes covered by the IGI can be found on Hugh Wallis' Batch Numbers Most libraries have microform copies of the IGI. If you find a relevant item indexed, you are strongly advised to view the original register entry for full or additional detail.
North Warwickshire District, Atherstone sub-district.
The article Civil Registration for North Warwickshire Explained, with a list of the Civil and Ecclesiastical Parishes in our area 1837-1974, and the Registration Districts in which they lay at varying times, is available free online to registered NNWFHS members via the Research Resources section of the Members Pages.
Atherstone registers are now held at Nuneaton Register Office where some of the registers have been indexed and made available to search online in order to facilitate the purchasing of certificates. Some entries from the GRO indexes have also been made available for online search at FreeBMD. Members
There are no known existing household lists prior to 1841. 1841 to 1911 census are available online on various subscription or pay-to-view websites. Several census years for Warwickshire, along with other data provided by volunteers, are freely available online at Pickard’s Pink Pages. The 1881 census for whole of British Isles is freely available online at www.familysearch.org. North Warwickshire Libraries have online access to the census records. Some local libraries hold facsimile hard copies for their immediate area. NNWFHS has 1851 and 1881 for Warwickshire on microfiche for loan or look up.
Those for St Nicholas church are available on microfiche which can be purchased from BMSGH or NNWFHS has a copy for loan or look-up.
History St Nicholas parish church
Baddesley Pit Explosion
Village & History
Victoria County History from British History Online
Pickard’s Pink Pages.
Hugh Wallis' Batch Numbers
Warwickshire Registration Services
© Copyright NNWFHS 1998/2009
Return to Towns & Villages Map