The parish is six miles north east of Tamworth adjacent to the Leicestershire border.
St Nicholas C of E
Austrey Baptist Church (built 1808)
The Saxon names for the village vary but include alduluestreow, aldufestreo and aldulvestrev, all of which suggest a meaning Eadwulf’s tree. The village was called Aldulvestreu in the Domesday Book of 1086 and it states that the land was owned by Henry de Ferrers, Nigel D’Aubigny and Burton Abbey.
The fourteenth century church was restored in 1844-5.
In the village are the old Manor House built in the 18th century and Bishops Farm House, a black and white building dating from 1521.
PARISH REGISTERS: Christenings: 1558 to 1905 Marriages: 1558 to 1983 Births: 1558 to 1957. The Parish Registers can be found at Warwick County Record Office. Microfiche copies of Christenings 1558-1760 Marriages 1558-1753 and Burials 1558-1768. Copies of these registers can also be found at The Society of Genealogists in London.
© Copyright NNWFHS 1998/2009
Return to Towns Map